Credit for Prior Learning

Your Experience Counts

you deserve some credit at suny corning community collegeSome students come to SUNY CCC already having proficiency in one or more courses.

When considering students for advanced standing, the College is guided by the recommendations of the American Council on Education and the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers and reserves the right to evaluate all academic work in terms of current validity.

The learning experience must be at the college level. Degree candidates must complete a minimum of 30 program hours of credit in residence at CCC. Fees are assessed for many of the methods listed below. There are several methods by which credit is granted: 

Credit by Exam

Credit may be awarded to students who earn an appropriate grade in any of the following exams: SUNY CCC challenge exams, Excelsior College exams, Advanced Placement exams offered through the College Board, International Baccalaureate Exams, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES/DSST exams and other exams reviewed for college credit by the American Council of Education (ACE). In some cases, SUNY CCC course work or other demonstration of skills may be required before credit is granted. You may obtain credit for these courses by successfully completing the exam (provided the academic divisions have comprehensive examinations available).

Your transcript will show the credit earned. No letter grade is given; this credit will not affect your GPA (Grade Point Average). There is no limit to the amount of credit that can be earned in this manner; however, this credit does not apply to the residency requirement. Make arrangements through the appropriate academic division. Contact the Recruitment & Admissions Office or an advisor for information.

Portfolio Assessment

Credit through portfolio assessment is granted by an academic division. Persons who have gained college-level learning through work or other experiences may demonstrate that knowledge through various methods (performance, oral, or written).These credits are not considered SUNY CCC residency credits, but are treated as transfer credit. See Recruitment and Admissions or an academic advisor for information. 

To demonstrate learning done out of the classroom, students have the option of creating a portfolio targeting the specific course outcomes of a needed class. SUNY CCC follows the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) guidelines for individual portfolio development. Students who plan to complete a portfolio must have college credit for ENGL1010, College Composition I.

Students should discuss this option with the Associate Dean of Instruction for the appropriate academic division. Not all colleges will accept credit for portfolios, so students who plan to transfer should check with their prospective transfer college(s). Credit through portfolio assessment is granted by an academic division. 

Transfer Credit & Articulated Credit

Transfer Credit: 

Credit-bearing transfer courses (at C level or above) may be accepted from any regionally accredited, candidate, or correspondent institution of higher education or NYS Education Department chartered degree-granting institution. There shall be no limit on the number of transfer credits accepted. However some programs have special requirements regarding transfer credit. Transfer credit can be awarded for course work taken from a foreign institution. The transcript from the foreign institution must be evaluated by an approved agency (World Education Services).

The foreign institution must be accredited and a grade of C or better must have been achieved for the course work. Credit for military or other training programs may be earned through any of the following means: military course work, non-collegiate institution sponsored courses/workshops as recommended for credit by the American Council on Education, course work approved by the New York State Education Department (National College Credit Recommendation Service [NCCRS]) or a CCC associate dean and SUNY CCC approved training programs offered through industry.

An applicant who has attended other colleges, post-secondary schools, or the military and wishes to receive transfer credit for work completed must provide the Recruitment and Admissions Office with an official transcript from each school/organization.

Veterans, Military Service

For consideration of credit for military service, submit an official military transcript to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.

Articulated Credit:  

Articulated credit is earned via industry licensures, credentials, and certification. Students are encouraged to present any credentials they’ve earned to the appropriate Associate Dean of Instruction. If determined eligible, credit will be awarded to the student’s SUNY CCC transcript as CR. Credentials will be evaluated based on the college’s transfer policies.

Contact the Recruitment and Admissions Office or an enrollment advisor for information.


Click here to access SUNY CCC's Prior Learning Assessment Policy and Procedures.