Student Responsibilities for F-1 VISA

International Student Responsibilities for F-1 VISA Status

Students in F-1 status are responsible for learning, understanding, and complying with US federal laws and regulations governing the F VISA. Failure to do so will violate your legal status in the United States and will have serious consequences. 

Keep Your Passport Valid at All Times
You must have a valid passport in your possession. For information on renewing your passport, visit the web site of your country's embassy or consulate in the United States.

Report Address Changes within 10 days to the Office of Admissions
U.S. federal regulations require all F-1 to report a change of address directly to the Office of Admissions within 10 days of the address change. The OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS is required to provide this and other student data to the federal government electronically. No other university office is authorized by the federal government to process this data. The OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS will update your student address within BANNER, so there is no need to report the same information to the Registrar's Office.

Maintain a Full Course of Study Each Semester
U.S. federal regulations [8 CFR 214.2(f)(6)] require you to pursue a full course of study each Fall and Spring semester until graduation or transfer to a new school.

Obtain PRIOR Authorization from the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS BEFORE Dropping Below a Full Course of Study
There are very limited exceptions to the full course of study rule. Those reasons include; academic difficulty, medical condition, or completion of study, and there are strict criteria for each. You must obtain PRIOR authorization from the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS. After obtaining this authorization, you may then drop the course(s).

Abide by U.S. Federal Employment Regulations
F-1 students may work no more than 20 hours per week on campus when classes are in session [8 CFR 214.2(f)(9)]. These 20 hours include the work you do for an assistantship if you have one. You cannot work offcampus (including credit-bearing internships off-campus) without PRIOR authorization from the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS and the U.S. federal government. Opportunities for off-campus work are limited.

Maintain Required Health and Accident Insurance
F-1 students must have approved health and accident insurance for themselves and any F-2 throughout their stay in the United States.

Report Changes in Program to OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS
Students must notify the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS whenever there is a change in their academic program, program dates or level of study.

Bring Your SEVIS I-20 to the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS Prior to Traveling Outside the United States
Students should bring their I-20 or DS-2019 form to the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS prior to traveling outside the United States to see if an updated OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS signature is required. A new form may need to be issued to you. If you will be traveling AND applying for a new visa, you will also want to request a letter of certification from the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS, to verify that you are a full-time student.

Notify the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS of Any Accompanying Dependents or Dependents Who Will Join You Later The OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS prepares visa documents for any dependents of F-1 who will enter the United States on F-2. The OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS is required to report biographical data on F-2 to the U.S. federal government.

Obtain Transfer Authorization Prior to Leaving Corning Community College
Students who plan to transfer to another college or university in the United States must inform the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS of their final choice by completing a "SEVIS Release Form" so that the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS can perform the "transfer out" in SEVIS and designate the school to which you will transfer.

Depart the U.S. within the 60 Day (F-1) Grace Period
Students in F-1 status must depart the United States within 60 days of the I-20 ending date OR their program end date, whichever is earlier. The exceptions to this rule include those who have applied for optional practical training, are transferring to a new school, or have applied for a change of status with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS).

Important Note This information is subject to change without notice.