New York State law requires registration and training of security guards in the state. The Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Office of Public Safety provides administrative oversight for mandated security training and approves security guard training schools. The New York State Department of State Division of Licensing Services has oversight responsibility for the registration of all security guards. SUNY Corning Community College will provide the mandatory courses for security guard training, including the 8-hour Pre-Assignment Training course, the 16-hour Onthe-Job Training course and the 8-hour In-service Training Course.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age
- Successfully completed an 8-hour pre-assignment training course
- No convictions of a serious criminal offense
- Must be a citizen or resident alien of the United States
For registration as a security guard, applicants must include the following:
- the completed, signed application
- copy of certificate showing completion of an 8-hour preassignment course
- signed DMV consent form
- receipt that provides proof of fingerprint completion
- $36.00 fee payable to the NYS Department of State
- any additional documentation requested in response to specific questions on the application form; and if employment will commence with filing of the application, the Notice of Employment section must be completed by your employer
Stay tuned for dates coming in early May!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 607-936-5501 for more information on upcoming dates or opportunities for your corporate training needs!