Funding Your Education

SUNY Corning Community College is committed to your success!

The college and community partners such as Chemung-Schuyler-Steuben Workforce New York (CSS WFNY) are here to assist individuals who are unemployed or displaced workers with obtaining funding that will allow you to pursue your education and career goals.

For more information on Traditional Student Funding Options, please visit Financial Aid. For other funding options, please visit our Types of Financial Aid webpage. 

Unemployment Benefits

Unemployment benefits are funds that you receive to assist with daily living expenses.

Apply for unemployment benefits through New York State Department of Labor (NYS DOL).

Note: If you are a Pennsylvania resident who was employed in New York State you will apply for benefits through NYSDOL..

Please see this helpful NYS DOL Unemployment Benefits Step-by-step Guide. NYS DOL implemented a new more efficient filing system based on the first letter of the applicant's last name (alphabetical order). Filing later in the week will not delay payments or affect the date of an individual’s claim, since all claims are effective on the Monday of the week in which they are filed. Here is the step-by-step process for filing:

A - F: Monday
G – N: Tuesday
O – Z: Wednesday
Missed your day: Thursday and Friday

Additional information is available on the Chemung-Schuyler-Steuben Workforce New York website.

 Training Funds

There are a variety of training funds/programs that can assist with paying your college tuition and fees. Additionally, some of these programs will also help with support services such as payments for books, supplies, mileage and/or childcare.

Contact any one of the local CSS WFNY Career Centers. Although staff are working remotely, their phones are forwarded. If you have to leave a message, it is because staff are assisting another customer.

Bath Career Center 607-776-7712
Elmira Career Center 607-733-7131
Hornell Career Center 607-324-8388
Montour Falls Career Center 607-535-6840

When talking to the staff, please let them know that you plan to apply for 599 benefits; this is the unemployment benefit that allows you to participate in training instead of being required to look for work. Let your worker know that you are in college and would like to continue to complete your degree. Also, if you are aged 24 or younger, please ask about the Emerging Workforce Benefits. This is a program that offers special benefits to the emerging workforce. Staff will assist you with both your application for 599 and your application for training benefits.

Important Information on Financial AId and CSS WFNY Funding

To be eligible for training benefits through CSS WFNY, you are required apply for financial aid. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) ( as soon as possible. Once it has been submitted, you will see a link to the HESC website if you are a NYS resident. Students should complete the TAP application for Tuition Assistance Program. The Excelsior Scholarship application will be available directly from the HESC website ( For more information about financial aid, please see the college’s Financial Aid page. Since you are now unemployed, your income may be different than it was on your last income tax form. You may need to file a Special Conditions form, which can be found on the college’s Financial Aid Forms page.

Please remember that SUNY CCC is here to assist you through your academic journey! Please contact us at if we can provide any assistance or answer any questions you may have. Learn more about SUNY CCC educational options by visiting the Admissions webpage.